[Ace-users] [tao-users] Notification consumer on remote machine does not receive events

Thomas Lockhart Thomas.Lockhart at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jan 14 20:04:08 CST 2008

> Our Notification based application runs without problems when
> supplier and consumer processes running on the same machine. On one
> machine we start Naming_Service, Notify_Service and  the supplier
> process. On the remote machine we start the consumer process. Remote
> calls from the consumer process to the supplier process work, so we
> think our network and service configuration is ok. Besides that we
> see that the consumer connects to the correct eventchannel created by
> the supplier process, but does not receive any events from the
> supplier.

This is likely due to DNS problems on the supplier machine. Even though
the consumer machine can make CORBA calls on the supplier, the callback
mechanism requires that the supplier machine behave like a client to the
consumer server. And if there is a problem with machine names then the
callbacks will just not happen.

You can do a quick check of this by running the consumer (and heck, the
supplier too) with "-ORBDottedDecimalAddresses 1".

The two likely scenarios in my experience:
1) the consumer is using an unqualified host name while the supplier
wants to resolve the name using a fully-qualified name (or vica versa)
2) the supplier is just resolving the wrong name altogether

hth

                        - Tom

--
Thomas Lockhart