[Ace-users] [tao-users] Strange Logs message from TAO

Adam Mitz mitza at ociweb.com
Tue Jan 22 12:09:02 CST 2008

Hi Olivier,

Olivier Brunet wrote:

> Quick PRF:
>
> Windows Vista x64, ACE+TAO x.6.2
> Windows XP SP2 x86, ACE+TAO x.6.2
> Linux Mandriva 2008 x86, ACE+TAO x.6.2
>
> Everytime I start a TAO ORB, I got these error messages:
>
> 3752 -- 20080122-18:44:53 3 ACE (3756|3752) LN::open_dll - Failed to
> open TAO_PI: Error: check log for details.
>
>      3752 -- 20080122-18:44:53 3 ACE (3756|3752) Unable to create
> service object for ORBInitializer_Registry
>

> (My appli runs fine anyway so this question is just to keep me
> intellectually happy)

It is looking to load TAO_PI.dll or libTAO_PI.so dynamically
(LoadLibrary / dlopen).  If they're not present then it will continue
unless you need Portable Interceptors support.

> I use the following statements to configure the ORB:
> [snip]
>
> And my App loads the following DLL (plus ACE):
> TAO.dll
> TAO_AnyTypeCode.dll
> TAO_Codeset.dll (this one is not explictly linked, but is dynamically
> loaded by the TAO core)
> TAO_IORTable.dll
> TAO_PortableServer.dll
>

> My questions:
> How to not have these 2 log lines (on every platform) ?

Either build TAO_PI.dll or disable interceptor support completely at
build time.

> And is it possible to use the POA (portableserver.dll) without
> AnyTypeCode.dll (compile time define maybe ?) ?

No, portableserver has a link-time dependency on anytypecode.
Theoretically we should be able to eliminate this dependency in a
CORBA/e Micro build but I do not believe TAO currently does so.  If you
are interested in funding this, consider contacting one of the
commercial support companies
(http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html).

Thanks,
Adam Mitz