[cosmic-users] Usage questions on IDL generator

Krishnakumar B kitty at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Tue Sep 13 17:51:32 CDT 2005

Hi Bala,

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:37:30 -0500, Balachandran Natarajan wrote:
> Kitty-
>
>         Thanks for your time.

[...]

>  > > (2) How do I specify local policies? For example a policy like this
>  > >
>  > >     local interface MyPOlicy : CORBA::Policy
>  > >     {};
>  > >
>  > >     through PICML/IDLML?
>  >
>  > If you meant "How do I specify local interfaces?", you can do it by
>  > setting the local attribute on the interface to "Yes".
>
> I have been able to decipher the local part. I am interested in
> specifying a local interface as a policy, which should then spit out an
> IDL like the above. Probably I am missing some switeches out here.

I think we should suck the contents of module CORBA and represent them as
read-only elements.  Then you will be able to drag a reference to
CORBA::Policy in the model.  This would get rid of problems in both
importing as well exporting IDL.

[...]

>  > > (3) How do I add documentation in the model which can be spit out as
>  > >     doxygen or javadoc style documentation in the generated IDL?
>  >
>  > Currently there is no support for this.  But this should be
>  > straightforward to add.
>
> Cool!

If you right-click on the model editor, you will see a context-menu item
called Insert Annotation.  It gives you a way to annotate your model with
documentation.  The trick is to get the text from these elements and dump
it out in the IDL.

> I want to find whether documentation is associated with the model. I
> would tend to think that the availability of documentation as a
> constraint on the model. Am I making sense?

Availability of documentation can be viewed as a constraint on the model,
if documentation element finds representation in the metamodel.  Currently,
it is not the case.  So this won't work.

>  > > (5) How do I create an XMI file or a UML model from the model we
>  > >     create for IDL generation?
>  >
>  > Currently not possible.  I am not sure this capability is even on the
>  > table.
>
> Okay. How do your others users transfer the model to other modelling
> tools?

They don't.  They use only our tool :-) This will probably be done as part
of the work that is being proposed to Siemens.  But as of now the interest
is quite low or non-existent.

-kitty.

--
Krishnakumar B <kitty at dre dot vanderbilt dot edu>
Institute for Software Integrated Systems, Dept. of EECS, Vanderbilt University