[cosmic-users] Usage questions on IDL generator

Balachandran Natarajan bala at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Tue Sep 13 21:30:16 CDT 2005

Kitty-

On Tuesday, 13 September, 2005 at 16:51:32 -0500, Krishnakumar B wrote:
[...]
 > I think we should suck the contents of module CORBA and represent them as
 > read-only elements.  Then you will be able to drag a reference to
 > CORBA::Policy in the model.  This would get rid of problems in both
 > importing as well exporting IDL.

I am not sure whether so much pain is required. In the Object attribute
pane (where we specify whether the interface is local or not), another
piece of user provided info could be whether the interface is a policy
or not. Based on the value of this attribute, the generated IDL can
inherit from CORBA::Policy, and also include Policy.pidl from
$TAO_ROOT/tao. Makes sense?

[...]
 > If you right-click on the model editor, you will see a context-menu item
 > called Insert Annotation.  It gives you a way to annotate your model with
 > documentation.  The trick is to get the text from these elements and dump
 > it out in the IDL.

I had figured out the first part of it already. Folks generally want
everything :-), and hence my question!

 > > I want to find whether documentation is associated with the model. I
 > > would tend to think that the availability of documentation as a
 > > constraint on the model. Am I making sense?
 >
 > Availability of documentation can be viewed as a constraint on the model,
 > if documentation element finds representation in the metamodel.  Currently,
 > it is not the case.  So this won't work.

Okay, fair enough. That was the reply I was expecting.

[...]
 > They don't.  They use only our tool :-) This will probably be done as part
 > of the work that is being proposed to Siemens.  But as of now the interest
 > is quite low or non-existent.

Fair enough! Makes sense.

Thanks
bala