[cosmic-users] idl_to_picml issue

Sowayan, Abdullah (N-DUA) abdullah.sowayan at lmco.com
Thu Apr 19 14:00:55 CDT 2007

Hi Kitty,

> > Jeff,
> >
> > Great, thank you very much. I still won't be able to update the CIAO
> > tutorial until a newer version of CosMIC gets released (the IDL
compiler
> > libraries are shipped with CosMIC). Since this usually happens once
> > year, we'll just have to wait.
>
> No, you don't :-)
>
> Sumant is very close to releasing a new version of CoSMIC with all the
> latest and greatest changes.  Sumant, can you please point to Abdul
the
> latest version of the CosMIC installer?

I downloaded the 0.5.7 beta from:
http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/cosmic/downloads/beta/

Which had the problem I reported; Jeff fixed it today. Are you saying
that there will be another beta released soon (other than the 0.5.7 I
downloaded)? If so I'll go ahead and update the CIAO tutorial so it will
be ready for the CIAO 0.5.8 release.

> > I hope that there are plans in the future to make more frequent
> > releases. That way the user community would be able to be more
involved
> > in reporting problems.
>
> Definitely.  That's why we have moved away from proprietary tools for
> creation of installer to an open-source tool (WiX).  We have also
> integrated it closely with the build environment such that it will be
> breeze to create a new installer and release it in the future.

Great. This is good news indeed. We encountered a bug in CoSMIC a while
back (on an under funded IRAD project), we started hand editing XMLs
manually because we thought that even if stuff gets fixed we won't be
able to get another CoSMIC release for another year. This is definitely
a step in the right direction.

Thanks,
Abdul