[cosmic-users] possibilities to import UML diagrams

Friedhelm Wolf friedhelm.wolf at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 9 09:23:06 CDT 2007

Sumant,

If you have/build a tool to transform the existing UML class diagrams
> into CORBA 3.0 IDL then your job is more or less done. CoSMIC has a tool

Until now, there's is no such tool. We are still in the process of
evaluating.

called IDL importer ($COSMIC_ROOT/bin/idl_to_picml.exe), which reads a
> closure of IDL files and generates a big chunk of PICML model from it.
> It basically generates a PICML equivalent of component interface types,
> component implementation etc. What remains after that is to manually
> build an assembly from the component types in PICML and generate

Until now, I thought more about a thing like:
UML description of the system -> CoSMIC PICML model -> (idl, cidl,
descriptor) files
                                    mapper tool                    CoSMIC
generators
because I guess, we could even generate some information about packages and
other descriptor files out of the UML model.

descriptors from that. MPC files can also be generated from the PICML model.

 I didn't find that in the Quoter tutorial shipped with CIAO. Which kind of
PICML folder
contains MPC descriptions?

I am not sure about the role of stereotypes in the UML model that you
> have. We might be able to help you discover a mapping for them if you
> could provide us further details.

 I'll come back to that, if we want to look into this approach in more
details (this descission
is not up to me).

But to sum up, what I found so far:
There might be 2 approaches to bring existing UML descriptions into a PICML
model:
1. Use the existing MetaGME UML model to import the diagrams (question:
which is the input format to import UML descriptions?)
   and create a DSML which maps this UML profile to PICML
2. generate IDL files out of the UML profiles and import the into PICML
using the idl_to_picml.exe importer.

Thanks for the valuable hints,
Friedhelm

Thanks,