[cosmic-users] monitoring of running systems

Friedhelm Wolf friedhelm.wolf at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 23 05:13:41 CDT 2007

Hi Nilabja,

> I'm thinking of a tool which shows me, which
> > components are existing in the deployment and what their state is, maybe
> > even the connection between the components.
> >
> I am working on Target Manager which provides a resource provisioning
> interface to book resources for components. As an extension to this

Wow, as I can see there's a lot of work going on in the area of DAnCE.
Is it correct, that this Target Manager is part of the OMG D&C
specification?
I recognized that there is already a Target Manager executable in the
DAnCE sources integrated with CIAO.
What is the current state of the development there?

work, I am also working on monitoring a running application and to
> characterize it's behavior in terms of resource usages. By resources, I
> mean both hardware and software resources. Such monitoring will help in

Will this include the interconnections between components and their
performance parameters, like connection response time, ...?

two ways, first it will enable run-time detection of interesting events
> in the system such as component failure, resource starvation etc.,

Is it possible to provide a complete view of the running assembly, including
all running components and its connections?

> second to create a profile of an application which will help in
> allocating it in future deployments.
>
> The monitoring techniques use both internal and external probes to
> measure performance. Overhead of such probes is an interesting aspect
> which I am investigating.

Will this be implemented as a standalone executable or is it planned
to integrate this  functionality into something which exists already?

Thanks a lot for pointing this out. It is interesting to hear that
the information necessary for component monitoring can be retrieved
from standard D&C tools.

Thanks,
Friedehelm