[cosmic-users] monitoring of running systems

Nilabja Roy nilabjar at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Fri Jul 20 13:06:39 CDT 2007

Hi Friedham,

> I'm using GME and the PICML of CoSMIC to model component application.
> I'm not that familiar with the other DSMLs/tools of CoSMIC however.
> I wonder if there is a part of CoSMIC which allows monitoring of running
> deployments (based on DAnCE).

At this point of time there is no tool in CoSMIC which does this.

> I'm thinking of a tool which shows me, which
> components are existing in the deployment and what their state is, maybe
> even the connection between the components.

I am working on Target Manager which provides a resource provisioning
interface to book resources for components. As an extension to this
work, I am also working on monitoring a running application and to
characterize it's behavior in terms of resource usages. By resources, I
mean both hardware and software resources. Such monitoring will help in
two ways, first it will enable run-time detection of interesting events
in the system such as component failure, resource starvation etc.,
second to create a profile of an application which will help in
allocating it in future deployments.

 The monitoring techniques use both internal and external probes to
measure performance. Overhead of such probes is an interesting aspect
which I am investigating.

> Is there anything available or planned within the CoSMIC project,
> which aims
> into this direction? If not, have you heard of other projects,
> approaches, which
> might address this issue?

    I can think of some tools based on JBoss which does something
similar to this. JBoss has an interface which tells all details about
the JVM, what all components are installed, how much cpu is used etc.
There are also other tools which use these interfaces in the JVM. Here
is a tool which does management of JBoss servers
http://www.hyperic.com/products/managed/jboss-management.htm . This one
looks more towards what you are looking for, it has monitoring
capabilities for J2EE, .NET, Oracle etc
http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/applications_manager/help/index.html

 Let me know, if you have any questions.

  HTH,