Some Library issues

Peter Volgyesi xvolgy at isis-server.isis.vanderbilt.edu
Mon May 19 10:12:29 CDT 2003

----------
From: 	Peter Volgyesi[SMTP:XVOLGY at ISIS-SERVER.ISIS.VANDERBILT.EDU]
Sent: 	Monday, May 19, 2003 9:12:29 AM
To: 	GME Group
Subject: 	Re: Some Library issues
Auto forwarded by a Rule

> Feng, Visa and I have been having a few issues with respect to
> libraries.
>
> 1. I attach a file lib.mga as a library to test.mga. Then I export
> lib.mga to xml and import back. This process doesn't preserve the ids of
> the mga objects and hence breaks the refresh library process.
Although, the library refresh operation is one of the most risky (and
untested) feature of GME, your statement (suspicion? ) above is not correct.
The relative ID conception was introduced when Arpad had implemented the
library feature. These relIDs help to overcome problems similar the one you
have described. (In the library refresh MGA code we never use the
original -absoulte- ids)
I have tested it with a dummy library and client, and the refresh stuff is
working OK even with export/import twists. So, please send or show me your
library.

> 2. I have two files A.mga and B.mga. Both use lib.mga. Now I want to
> copy some parts of A.mga to B.mga. These parts have references to the
> library. The copy process currently is not able to preserve the
> references. If I import A.mga in B.mga I get two copies of the library.
> Is there a good solution for this?
No. (I don't know any). It's a serious issue, and I can't promise it can be
"fixed" easily.

> 3. Can the libraries use relative path instead of a complete path? This
> helps when sending models to other people.
If your are asking about the OS directory path to the library mga file, then
yes, you can use relative paths.

> 4. I have mentioned this earlier. In Mobies we have a paradigm
> UmlModelTransformer, it contains the UML paradigm and other things. Now
> the user while using this paradigm needs to import Uml models to this
> paradigm. This feature used to be supported earlier but it isn't any
> more. This requires us to export the UML models to XML, change the Meta
> to UmlModelTransformer, import back to another mga, attach this mga. The
> problem that users will have to perform this action time and again and
> it breaks the refresh functionality.
I really don't know how it worked before, but the this extra export/import
step not just renames the paradigm of your model. It fixes/modifies the
metaref ids in the project (.mga) file. Without this fixup I cannot
guarantee that the library attach/refersh operation will succeed. Your
request is reasonable, but our library code is not robust enough right now
(as you have seen) to support this.

--
peter