[gme-users] GME suggestions / ergonomic feature requests

gabtromb gabtromb at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Thu Apr 8 19:05:50 CDT 2004

GME metamodels seem to occupy a LOT of space on the screen. I would
suggest the following features to make it more usable

1- Among the various zoom levels, it seems to me that you are skipping
the one in which the font is Arial size 7. This was the main font size
which I would have kept, since size 7 is the smallest size in which
Arial is perfectly readable, in facts it has even less artifacts than at
size 9 which is the one you are using by default. I suggest to use size
7 by default in the model view and also in the aspects dockable window.

2- The metamodel icons are too big compared to what is written inside. I
suggest you don't leave more than 3 pixels of white space horizontally
and 2 vertically between the charachter strings inside the metamodel
icons and the borders of the metamodel icons themselves. Also if there
are no attributes, the empty attibutes region should be half high than
it is now.

3- Provide a "hand" feature like in Acrobat Reader to move the sheet if
it's larger than viewable area. It should be a button among the tools on
the left.
AND
I also suggest to trigger the hand behaviour while the middle mouse
button is held down (central mouse button is currently unused now,
correct?) and/or when [SHIFT] is pressed and left mouse button is down.
Disregard the WM_MOUSEWHEEL messages while the central mouse button is
down, because many people have the wheel as middle mouse button, which
is likely to rotate while pressed.

Thanks for this excellent application
Gabriele Trombetti