[gme-users] GME Observations

Stefan Marte stefanmarte at yahoo.de
Thu Aug 5 18:28:49 CDT 2004

Hello everybody!

I've now been using GME for several weeks, working on
a large meta-model. Generally, it has been a joy to
use, and I am looking forward to expanding my
expertise.
Still, there are some things that could be more
suitable to my needs. I assume many of them have been
discussed before, but it would be nice to get some
feedback on what you think about my ideas:

I might as well start the list with "Dear Santa"

Enhancements
============

* A Method to find references to a model object. (Who
references me?)

* References to Connections
when putting references to atoms or models in a model,
it would be sometimes helpful to
be able to see existing connections between these
references to avoid duplication.
preferably these should be created automatically if
specified in the metamodel.

* Subdiagrams (Picture in Picture)
Something like ports on steroids. have the ability to
expand a model to a resized picture
of its contents, including ports for objects which are
relevant in the given aspect.

* Control over Fonts
Ability to define Fon, style, color and size for a
object.

* Control over line thickness for connections

* control over element sizes
manual control over element sizes and possibly
automatic resizing when too
many connections are attached.

* Visual indication for unbound references
Display a different icon when a reference is not bound
to a FCO.
(might be doable with a decorator)

* Reference Visualization:
Add the ability to have an icon overlayed at a
specific location, instead of
displaying a black border. (Might be doable with a
decorator)

* Elements which are ignored by the autorouter
for decoration purposes, elements which exist in the
background would be useful.
(pictures, boxes, circles) The idea is to have helper
elements to enhance the clarity
of a model.

* synchronize Reference with referred to object
a method to synchronize attributes of a reference with
the original object.

* attributes that refer to model elements
the ability to store a relationship to another model
element in a non-visual way
would be useful.

MetaGME annoyances
=================
* the overrides for the connection autolayout hints in
MetaGME are sometimes annoying.

* when using equivalences, it is unclear, which object
is the "master",
esp. when multiple equivalences are involved.

BUGS
====

* Aspect Synchronization
Show "Display Name" for aspects instead of aspect name

* With reference proxies, display name is ignored in
the part browser

QUESTIONS
=========

* When using references, connections need to be
declared for the original model element
and the reference. is there any better way to do that?

BTW, there was (I think) some discussion about GME
going open-source. Since I am willing to put
development-time into this, is there any chance of
helping out with the coding?

yours
Stefan Marte
Mummert Consulting