[gme-users] Instances

Jacques Kerner jacques.kerner at oktal.fr
Thu Jul 1 16:44:56 CDT 2004

Hi all,

I have a question about instances in a model. I would like to know how I
can force a Model to contain only instances of, say, an Atom but not the
non instances of this Atom. I can do it with constraints, but what is
annoying is that the part window proposes to add the Atom. I was
wondering if there was a nicer way to do this.

To illustrate my problem, I can take the example of UML, with the
sequence diagram as opposed to the class diagram. A class diagram can
contain objects of kind "Class". You can drag and drop a "Class" to the
"Class Diagram" model (you can do this with GME alright). Now, in the
sequence diagram, when you drag and drop a "Class" from the part window,
you would like them to become automatically instances of the class, and
not the class itself, but I did not find a way to do this automatically.
An alternative would be to be unable to drag and drop classes, but only
do it when they are instances. How can you say that a model contain only
instances of an object in the Meta Model ?

I hope this rings a bell. Thank you in advance.

Jacques Kerner.