[gme-users] Using static libraries with GME interpreters

Jonathan M. Sprinkle sprinkle at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 2 14:45:37 CDT 2004

> > If a user is creating two or more interpreters for her
> application, it
> > is quite plausible that some of the overlapping code could
> be placed
> > in a static library and linked against the other two interpreters.
>
> Wouldn't having object files as a static library cause
> duplication in the two interpreters? Did you mean dynamic libraries?

I don't mind code duplication as the interpreters exists, as much as I mind
code duplication during compilation. :)

Dynamic libraries might be a better solution for some tasks, but static
libraries is as good as any for me for right now. For one reason, if I use
dynamic libraries, then I would have to distribute multiple dlls for one
interpreter.

Furthermore, I suspect that as a non-maintained project, it is more
beneficial to have one version of the dll than to try to ensure that
multiple versions of the common dlls can work together, and shipping
multiple versions of dlls as updates. Relinking to get updated versions
shouldn't take much time, and as the software evolves, I am sure that there
will be updates done to the libraries as well.

Does this make sense? Does anyone (read: Peter,Adi) know about the
difficulties/benefits of having multiple .dlls for an interpreter?

Thanks,
Jon