[gme-users] Aspects Question

Sandeep Neema sandeep.neema at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Apr 19 17:46:36 CDT 2006

Joe,

As Matt pointed out GME aspects are not the same as Aspect in the AOP
sense. However, we did look at the relation between Model-based Design
and Aspect-Oriented Programming in the context of the PCES program. Our
evaluation was that cross-cutting concerns do occur when designing
systems with models. The choice of model object hierarchy itself
represents a dominant form of decomposition and often some crosscutting
"concerns" are spread around this dominant concern. Jeff's work
demonstrated the application of AOP concepts to address these issues by
isolating the crosscutting concerns in separate aspects and then using a
model-based weaver to weave those in. As Matt pointed out Jeff's papers
(and thesis) are good place for additional info on that. Also, since
Jeff is on this list he can point you to the newer material.

HTH,

Sandeep

--

Sandeep Neema

Research Scientist,

Institute of Software Integrated Systems, Vanderbilt University

Phone: 615-343-9996

Email: sandeep.k.neema at vanderbilt.edu

  _____