[gme-users] Aspects Question

Jeff Gray gray at cis.uab.edu
Wed Apr 19 23:56:35 CDT 2006

Hi Joe-

First, thanks to Sandeep and Matt for the plugs :-)

When trying to differentiate the "Aspects" of GME from those of AOP, it
seems that the GME form of the term is more related to the concept of
"views" in a database, or "viewpoints" in requirements engineering. Perhaps
this is debatable, but that is how I have always seen the difference in my
mind.

Both views and aspects (in the AOP sense) are great tools for separation of
concerns. However, they are not really equal (side note: there is confusion
that separation of concerns = aspects; this is far from the truth, as the
SoC term really came out in one of Dijkstra's books in the 70s). SoC can be
performed in many ways, as evidenced by modular programming, oo, and other
paradigms. The uniqueness of aspects is the modularization of crosscutting
concerns, which is just one more type of SoC. This has been debated heavily
on the aosd-discuss mailing lists.

Matt and Sandeep mentioned some of the work that my students and I have been
doing in this area, along with several colleagues at Vanderbilt/ISIS. I'll
spare all of the details - the project site (which includes the actual tool
as a GME plugin, papers, and even video demos) is available at:

http://www.cis.uab.edu/gray/Research/C-SAW/

All of the related publications are available on that site, but perhaps the
best summary papers are:

http://www.cis.uab.edu/gray/Pubs/computer.pdf

http://www.cis.uab.edu/gray/Pubs/sosym-models-2006.pdf

http://www.cis.uab.edu/gray/Pubs/cacm-2001.pdf

Regarding aspects and modeling, let me also suggest the series of workshops
(now in its 8th version) focused on Aspect-Oriented Modeling. This workshop
alternates between the AOSD and MoDELS conferences over the past 4 years.
Details of the workshop series are available at:

http://dawis2.icb.uni-due.de/events/AOM_AOSD2006/cfp.shtml

You might also check out Ivar Jacobson's book, and also Siobhan Clarke and
Elissa Banniasad's book. I am not sure that tool support exists yet for any
of those ideas (I could be wrong, but I think these are more about
"notations").

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Jeff Gray, Ph.D.
Department of Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
gray at cis.uab.edu
http://www.gray-area.org

  _____