[gme-users] Constructing a GME model using Java

Krishnakumar B kitty at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Sep 6 15:51:49 CDT 2006

Hi John,

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 02:20:45 PM -0500, John K Black wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to construct a GME model using Java.  I've written some
> working code using the mga.dtd as a starting point for some Java
> bindings, but it looks like I really should be using the official Java
> interface to GME.

The Java Bindings to GME are not complete, i.e., some functions are not yet
implemented.  I have also heard that is might get fixed in the near future.
But the big issue with Java and GME is that debugging is really painful.
You have to resort to dumping messages on GME's console, and cannot use any
debugger to step in.

We have also discussed implementing a C# binding to GME which will be more
amenable to debugging as well the advantages of a high-level programming
language and the rich .NET libraries.  But it is not high priority right
now.

> I tried creating a project from scratch with the low-level Java BON API,
> but haven't had any success.  Are there any examples or docs around that
> show how to do this?

You can actually use the mga.dtd and create an XME file.  In fact, I
converted mga.dtd to mga.xsd, and used the latest JAXB 2.0, to create
XME files that can be imported into GME.  Please see:

https://svn.dre.vanderbilt.edu/viewvc/cosmic/trunk/CoSMIC/PIM/WSML/interpreters/WSDLImporter/

for an example.  You can also find usage of UDM's Java interface at:

https://svn.dre.vanderbilt.edu/viewvc/cosmic/trunk/CoSMIC/PIM/WSML/interpreters/WSDLExporter/

Problem with UDM is that it is not integrated into GME, and hence requires
conversion of your GME model to UDM's XML model before you can use it with
Java UDM.

HTH.

-kitty.

--
Krishnakumar B <kitty at dre dot vanderbilt dot edu>
Institute for Software Integrated Systems, Dept. of EECS, Vanderbilt University