[gme-users] Constructing a GME model using Java

John K Black John_K_Black at raytheon.com
Wed Sep 6 17:34:09 CDT 2006

Hi Kitty,

I used JAXB more or less as you describe.  I cranked mga.dtd through
Castor's
DTD converter to get mga.xsd, then used JAXB, and have been creating
XME files successfully.

As an aside, I found that using JAXB's experimental "-dtd" switch
to directly generate bindings from mga.dtd didn't work very well.

Anyway, I wrote a paradigm-specific API on top of the JAXB bindings, and
it's working well.  GME is very cooperative.

Thanks,
John Black

Krishnakumar B wrote on 09/06/2006 03:51:49 PM:

> Hi John,
>
> On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 02:20:45 PM -0500, John K Black wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying to construct a GME model using Java.  I've written
some
> > working code using the mga.dtd as a starting point for some Java
> > bindings, but it looks like I really should be using the official Java
> > interface to GME.
>
> The Java Bindings to GME are not complete, i.e., some functions are not
yet
> implemented.  I have also heard that is might get fixed in the near
future.
> But the big issue with Java and GME is that debugging is really painful.
> You have to resort to dumping messages on GME's console, and cannot use
any
> debugger to step in.
>
> We have also discussed implementing a C# binding to GME which will be
more
> amenable to debugging as well the advantages of a high-level programming
> language and the rich .NET libraries.  But it is not high priority right
> now.
>
> > I tried creating a project from scratch with the low-level Java BON
API,
> > but haven't had any success.  Are there any examples or docs around
that
> > show how to do this?
>
> You can actually use the mga.dtd and create an XME file.  In fact, I
> converted mga.dtd to mga.xsd, and used the latest JAXB 2.0, to create
> XME files that can be imported into GME.  Please see:
>
> https://svn.dre.vanderbilt.
> edu/viewvc/cosmic/trunk/CoSMIC/PIM/WSML/interpreters/WSDLImporter/
>
> for an example.  You can also find usage of UDM's Java interface at:
>
> https://svn.dre.vanderbilt.
> edu/viewvc/cosmic/trunk/CoSMIC/PIM/WSML/interpreters/WSDLExporter/
>
> Problem with UDM is that it is not integrated into GME, and hence
requires
> conversion of your GME model to UDM's XML model before you can use it
with
> Java UDM.
>
> HTH.
>
> -kitty.
>
> --
> Krishnakumar B <kitty at dre dot vanderbilt dot edu>
> Institute for Software Integrated Systems, Dept. of EECS,
VanderbiltUniversity