[gme-users] Compiling issues (pt 2)

Kevin Smyth ksmyth at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Fri Apr 27 13:57:41 CDT 2012

For problems like these, I would use Process Monitor to try to see what
is failing.

Here's my guess:

GME depends on quite a few ActiveX dlls, which you wouldn't see in
Dependency Walker. GME uses the standard CoCreateInstance method to
create these, which depends on HKCR COM registration data. This
registration data is created by GME.sln (and MetaGME.sln et al) by
running regsvr32 on the various COM dlls. The registration data is
created by GME.msi for installed versions. If you didn't install GME.msi
on your VM, the VM would not have the registration data.

Instead of zipping up anything, I'd use the Install\Build\build.py build
script to build a GME.msi and install that. (You'll need to install
Python 2.6 or 2.7 and WiX 3.5.) That will create all the COM
registration data you'll need (and also compile other required
components, like the MetaInterpreter and MetaDecorator). The msi also
provides uninstall.

If using the msi doesn't help, let me know and I can list some debugging
breakpoints.

Also note GME will silently exit on Windows Server Core.

Kevin