[great-users] Patterncardinality on connections

Aditya Agrawal Aditya at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Tue May 4 16:45:48 CDT 2004

> So for bound pattern association edges, what is the difference between
> cardinality "1" and the cardinality "0..*" which I see on some
examples?

[Adi]
In a pattern association there are three attributes, ScrCardinality,
DstCardinality and PatternCardinality.

The SrcCardinality and DstCardinality are not part of the
transformaition at all. These are set in the UML class diagram with
class diagram semantics.

The PatternCardinality is the only once with consequence in GReAT. If an
association has role:"Bound" and the pattern cardinality is 1 then the
matcher will try to find it. If the association has role:"Bound" and
pattern cardinality is 0 then the matcher will discard all matches where
the association exists. If the association has role:"CreateNew" or
role:"Delete" then the pattern cardinality is assumed to be 1
irrespective of the actual value in the field.

Thanks,
Adi