[great-users] Generating code with Great

Zonghua Gu zonghua at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 13:31:20 CDT 2004

If I want to generate code in a programming language like Java with
GReaT, I will need to construct a meta-model for Java in GME. But it's
not clear to me how to do this. In the compiler area, Java code is
parsed into an abstract syntax tree (AST), which is further processed
into machine or byte code. I wondering if we can establish some kind
of link between AST and meta-model, perhaps using GReaT to generate
AST, then trivially map AST into Java code?

Another question: Suppose I want to generate output in XML to feed
into another tool like UPAAL, which already has a dtd (data type
definition) format defined. Is there a way to "reverse engineer" from
a dtd file into a meta-model? We can use UDM to generate dtd from
meta-model, can we go the other direction?

Thanks!