[great-users] Newbie's GReAT Tutorial Problems

Daniel Balasubramanian daniel at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Tue Feb 7 16:39:52 CST 2006

Hi Chris,

If you are using Visual Studio 2005, the problem is related to the following:

When you try to use the GR-Engine (or the debugger, which indirectly calls the GR-Engine), the attribute mapping code is compiled into a .DLL and then loaded by the GR-Engine.  The problem is that the GR-Engine was built using VS 2003, and the .DLL for your GReAT Transformation was built using VS 2005; thus, your .DLL contains a manifest file which describes the dependencies on the C-Runtime libraries (among other things).  When the GR-Engine, which is unmanaged C++ code built using VS 2003 (and thus does not contain a manifest file), tries to load your .DLL (which does contain a manifest because it depends on the VS2005 versions of the C-Runtime Library (MSVCR80.DLL)), the GR-Engine must then load the MSVCR80.DLL to meet the dependency of your .DLL.  Inside the initialization code of MSVCR80.DLL, there is a function which tries to ensure that the application loading MSVCR80.DLL (in this case, the GR-Engine) contains a manifest; if this application does not contain a manifest (which the GR-Engine doesn't, because it was built as unmanaged code under VS2003), then MSVCR80.DLL cannot be loaded, and thus the GR-Engine cannot run.

You can try using the CodeGenerator and compiling the code to run your transformation (this is documented in the Step-By-Step guide in the /doc directory), or you can use VS 2003 (which is fully supported).  We were hoping to be able to support both VS2003 and VS2005 simultaneously, but due to the explanation above, that is proving more difficult than expected.

Thanks,
Daniel