[tao-users] ORB maximum data transfer size

omid shahraki dreamstechgroup at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 11:16:56 CDT 2016

Hi there,

Actually Phil is right. But, It is not that simple. Let's put It another
way. How big is big? Could we consider 4GB big or even 8GB? Well It depends
on the context, type of service, architecture capabilities and end-user
service consumer in a top view.

Considering your case, 40MB reply to a simple invocation, there are issues
which should be in interest before going on.

1- Could 40MB query reply be broken into smaller replies?
2- Do we need TCP Window size adjustment?
3- Is it using Window auto-scaling?
4- how buffering could be done?

And variety of questions we need to ask before getting into real job?

In TCP header, the Window field is 16 bits which means limited to 64k. Does
It mean Window size limited to that amount? If no, how far we can go? And
does It mean It is accepted to adjust It big enough to accumulate big data
records? What about throughput and latency?...

So, there are many OS level and App level issues we need to pay close
attention. Do not forget Oracle and IBM docs.

Well, have fun and enjoy the game.

Bests,
Omid Shahraki