[Ace-users] Large File Support with Solaris

joeymink at gmail.com joeymink at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 12:37:25 CST 2007

    ACE VERSION: 5.5.7

    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
        x86 Sun Solaris 5.8

    TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
    COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):
        gcc/g++ 4.1.2

    THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE:
        auto-generated config script

    THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE
        auto-generated config script

    CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/
default.features:

    AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
        ACE File IO wrappers.

    DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
        COMPILATION? no
        LINKING? no
        EXECUTION? yes

    SYNOPSIS:
Our ACE-dependent application opens an output file stream using the
ACE file i/o wrappers, and when we try to write a file greater than 2
Gb, we get errno 27 (which implies that the size of the file is too
large).

We believe it's the application's lack of large file support.  Is it
necessary to configure/compile ACE to explicitly support large files
on this platform?  I believe we need to set the -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
and -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 when we compile our app.  But we wanted to
be sure that ACE didn't need any particular settings as well.

    REPEAT BY:
Simply opened a new file and wrote until the offset neared 2
gigabytes.

    SAMPLE FIX/WORKAROUND:
None yet...

Thanks in advance for any replies.