[Ace-users] [ace-users] Large File Support with Solaris

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Mon Dec 3 12:44:05 CST 2007

Hi Joey,

   Thanks for using the PRF.

>    ACE VERSION: 5.5.7
>
>    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
>        x86 Sun Solaris 5.8
>
>    TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
>    COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):
>        gcc/g++ 4.1.2
>
>    THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE:
>        auto-generated config script
>
>    THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE
>        auto-generated config script
>
>    CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/
>default.features:
>
>    AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
>        ACE File IO wrappers.
>
>    DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
>        COMPILATION? no
>        LINKING? no
>        EXECUTION? yes
>
>    SYNOPSIS:
>Our ACE-dependent application opens an output file stream using the
>ACE file i/o wrappers, and when we try to write a file greater than 2
>Gb, we get errno 27 (which implies that the size of the file is too
>large).

>We believe it's the application's lack of large file support.  Is it
>necessary to configure/compile ACE to explicitly support large files
>on this platform?  I believe we need to set the -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
>and -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 when we compile our app.  But we wanted to
>be sure that ACE didn't need any particular settings as well.
>
>    REPEAT BY:
>Simply opened a new file and wrote until the offset neared 2
>gigabytes.
>
>    SAMPLE FIX/WORKAROUND:
>None yet...

I think we've added support for large files to ACE in more recent
versions.  I therefore suggest upgrading to ACE+TAO+CIAO x.6.1 (i.e.,
ACE 5.6.1, TAO 1.6.1, and CIAO 0.6.1), which you can download from

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu

under the heading: "Latest Beta Kit."

The DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt
University only provide "best effort" support for non-sponsors for the
latest release, as described in

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/DOC_ROOT/ACE/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

Thus, if you need more "predictable" help for earlier versions of
ACE+TAO, I recommend that you check out

for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE+TAO commercial
support.

Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schmidt at vanderbilt.edu