[Ace-users] [ace-users] TAO ACE Compatibilty

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Dec 5 20:03:36 CST 2007

Hi Murray,

>I have recently upgraded to the TAO 1.5.1 Notification Service, for
>performance reasons, from 1.4.3 however I have issues with sending
>certain messages from code that is compiled against ACE 1.4.3. There
>are no problems when using TAO 1.4.3 NotificationService.
>
>At the moment I am hesitant to upgrade to a newer version of ACE due
>to having a large amount of legacy code that would have to be
>recompiled.
>
>So I was just wondering about the backward compatibility of the TAO
>Notification service with older versions of ACE.

TAO 1.4.3 (and TAO 1.5.1 for that matter) are old and things have
undoubtedly changed over the years.

>Again the problem only exists on certain messages.
>
>I can supply NotificationService output if needed.

Please note that the DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine,
and Vanderbilt University only provide "best effort" support for
non-sponsors who are using the latest release, as described in

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/DOC_ROOT/ACE/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

Therefore, please make sure you are using ACE+TAO+CIAO x.6.1 (i.e.,
ACE 5.6.1, TAO 1.6.1, and CIAO 0.6.1), which you can download from

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu

under the heading: "Latest Beta Kit".  If you need more "predictable"
help or need help for earlier versions of ACE+TAO+CIAO please see

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html

for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE+TAO+CIAO
commercial support.

Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schmidt at vanderbilt.edu