[Ace-users] [tao-users] Building AMH enabled TAO breaks [Latest Beta]

Adam Mitz mitza at ociweb.com
Wed Dec 12 09:36:52 CST 2007

Hi Gilad,

Gilad Rom wrote:
>  ACE VERSION: 5.6.1 (Latest Beta as of Yesterday)
>
>     HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
>         Vanilla Ubuntu Feisty 7.10
>         Intel Q6600, 4GB of Ram
>
>     COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):
>         4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)
>
>     AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
>         Trading_Service
>
>     DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
>         COMPILATION? Yes
>
>     SYNOPSIS:
>         When building TAO, I have modified the
>         TAO/orbsvcs/orbsvcs/Makefile file to execute
>         tao_idl using -GH to generate AMH enabled classes.
>         This makes the build fail [See description].

This is not supported -- the code that implements the orbsvcs is not
going to take advantage of AMH.  If you wish to use AMH in your code
that communicates with the orbsvcs, generate your own stubs and
skeletons (in your own directory) based on the orbsvcs idl.

It looks like you are using autoconf.  Please state this explicitly in
the PRF.  Also since autoconf isn't supported for TAO you should try
with the included GNUmakefiles (or generate them with MPC) before
submitting a PRF.  See
http://theaceorb.com/faq/index.html#HowToBuildACEandTAOonLinux for details.

As Doug mentioned yesterday, if you need commercial services for
assistance with TAO please contact one of the support companies listed
at http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/support.html.

Thanks,
Adam Mitz
Software Engineer