[Ace-users] Re: Port question on how to convert a ACE socket handle to an ostream object

Evan Carew carew at pobox.com
Wed Jul 4 13:11:44 CDT 2007

One solution, tho not ideal would be to install gcc on your AIX box.
Having been in the same position in the past, I've actually had to do a
local (to my account) gcc build and install. I finally got what I needed
to work built and installed, but what a pain.

As for the portability issue, there's no guarantee from one compiler
vendor to the next who the underlying stream interface will be
implemented. In gcc, it just happens to be a filebuffer you can extract,
or assign to if you hunt through the gnu interface (as you've shown with
your code snipit).