[Ace-users] [ciao-users] passing facets as parameters

Gan Deng gan.deng at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Oct 31 00:33:17 CDT 2007

Hi Eric,

> I am trying to figure out how CIAO handles remote objects as parameters.
>  Can some explain to me, what happens between the context and the
> executor when a operation gets called on a component that contains a
> remote object as one of its parameters?

CCM does not introduce any restriction when you define "interfaces". In
other words, when you define your component facets/interfaces, you can
define operations with object references as parameters.

> Does the CCM version of the interface include the remote objects as a
> parameter, or does it take the CCM version as the parameter?  Is there
> any translation done at the context to isolate the executor from the
> remote object?

I'm not sure I understand your question. What "CCM version" interfaces
are you referring to? Could you please give an example?

> What does the executor do if it needs to create a facet and return it to
> the requesting component?

It is not clear here why "executor needs to create a facet". In general,
facet is an interface and executor is the implementation class of such
interfaces.

> i.e.  a component needs a timer interface, so
> it calls a timer service to createTimer.  This operation returns a
> remote timer object.  Does the executor need to know about the remote
> timer?  Does the context intercede to translate or connect the new facet?

In this case, the executor of your component needs to be able to access
the "timer service" and be able to invoke createTimer operation on it.

Again, I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do, but if you can
define your problem in a more formal way (e.g., giving IDL definitions),
that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Gan