[Ace-users] [ace-users] ACE_Task_Base fails to activate

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Feb 6 08:02:28 CST 2008

Hi Tero,

Thanks for providing the version info.

>ACE VERSION: 5.5a  (same effect even if "same" non OCI version is
>used)
>Intel PC, Windows XP and VisualStudio 7.1
>
>My application is release build and it dynamically loads ((ACE_DLL
>m_DLL) m_DLL.open(str.c_str())) a debug build library.
>So exe uses ACE.dll library and test library uses ACEd.dll library.
>
>If I try to activate a new thread (class MyThread : public
>ACE_Task_Base => MyThread->activate()) in dynamically loaded library,
>I get the following error:
>Unhandled exception at 0x7c901010 in MyTest.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
>violation reading location 0x00000018.
>
>Without a call to MyThread->activate() a dynamically loaded libraries
>causes no errors.
>Also when both exe and dynamically loaded library are using same ACE
>library (both are release or debug build) there are no errors when
>activating threads.
>
>Question:
>Is it forbidden to use two different ACE librarys at the same process
>(other one a debug build and another release build)?

This sounds like a Windows related issue rather than an ACE issue.
Nevertheless, since you're using an older version of ACE please
upgrade to ACE+TAO+CIAO x.6.2 (i.e., ACE 5.6.2, TAO 1.6.2, and CIAO
0.6.2), which you can download from

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu

under the heading: "Latest Beta Kit."

The DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt
University only provide "best effort" support for non-sponsors for the
latest release, as described in

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/DOC_ROOT/ACE/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

Thus, if you need more "predictable" help for earlier versions of
ACE+TAO, I recommend that you check out

for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE+TAO commercial
support.

Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schmidt at vanderbilt.edu