[Ace-users] [tao-users] ACE (and TAO) timers for Real-Time

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Feb 27 12:50:14 CST 2008

Hi Mauricio,

To ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler information,
please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem report form (PRF),
which is in

$ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM

or in

$ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM

in older versions of ACE+TAO.  Make sure to include this information
when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to
"guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is
very error-prone and slows down our responsiveness.  If you don't use
the PRF, therefore, it is less likely that someone from the core
ACE+TAO developer team will be able to answer your question.
Naturally, we encourage and appreciate other members of the ACE+TAO
user community who can respond to questions that they have the answers
to.

> I am trying to adapt a "time service" for a framework based on TAO to
> support real-time requirements. I will start with the timer service that
> is almost a simple wrapper of a ACE Timer_Queue. The question is which
> POSIX syscall uses this timer queue to sleep.

ACE_Timer_Queue doesn't use any syscalls to sleep - it just handles the
scheduling and dispatching of timers.  Please see the

ACE_ROOT/ace/Timer_Queue_Adapters.{h,cpp}

and

ACE_ROOT/examples/Timer_Queue/

> for some examples of how to wait to dispatch the timers.

> An other little question, is if the real-time performance of the ACE
> Timer_Queue is ensured for distributed objects (if the proper network
> is setup).

Sure - depending on the definition of "proper network setup"!