[Ace-users] [ace-bugs] [ACE_Message_Queue] notify PIPE block causes Select_Reactor deadlock.

Steve Huston shuston at riverace.com
Wed Feb 27 12:24:00 CST 2008

Hi Greg,

Perhaps the greatest strength of an open source product is the
community that surrounds it and is willing to invest time and effort
into improving the product and its usefulness. This particular issue
is a good example - you and Rudy (and a few other people) have run
across a particular issue. You can see from the ChangeLog that the fix
you propose has been tried and found to have a problem in the general
case (even if not in your case). If you and Rudy and others that have
some expertise and motivation can get together and come up with a
better solution, that would exhibit a bit of ownership mentality and
show the community can bring the necessary talent to bear on a problem
and fix it.

Although it is true that Remedy and Riverace and OCI and PrismTech and
others make various levels of their income providing services around
these products, I can tell you that Johnny puts in enormous effort
driving ACE (and TAO) development and maintenance and I'd bet that a
good chunk of it is work he's not being "sponsored" for.

ACE's future is, indeed, bright. It's bright because there's a good
mix of user community and service providers coming together to get the
job done, maintain, and improve things. You can help keep it bright by
contributing your time and expertise in this matter.

-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Want to take ACE training on YOUR schedule?