[ace-users] Anyone building with C++11?

Johnny Willemsen jwillemsen at remedy.nl
Sat Jan 7 04:32:35 CST 2017

Hi,

> Is anyone building ACE with C++11?  Has anyone thought about which
> (whether?) C++11 features obviate ACE abstractions?

We are building and testing ACE with C++11 enabled on a lot of
platforms. At the moment you enable C++11 some C++11 ACE extensions are
enabled. Would be nice when move constructors/assignment operators would
be added to various types, that could give a performance improvement.
The coverity scan build now has some new issues indicating where adding
these would increse performance.

In our TAOX11/AXCIOMA product we prefer to use as much as C++11 as
possible, we are using standard containers, threading, types, and more.
With the current set of C++11 features the ACE abstractions could be
simplified and some completely removed but that is a big effort. We
talked about a ACEX11 a few times but that needs funding.

When you are using CORBA, our TAOX11 product makes that much easier by
using C++11. No ptr/var/duplicate, all standard types, move semantics,
and way more, see http://taox11.remedy.nl for more details.

When using LwCCM, our AXCIOMA product also simplifies that by using
C++11, see http://www.axcioma.com. As part of AXCIOMA we have a adapter
for DDS so that you get the IDL to C++11 type system for your code.

Best regards,

http://www.remedy.nl