[Ace-users] Re: [ciao-users] Invoking push_event on a component

Sowayan, Abdullah (N-DUA) abdullah.sowayan at lmco.com
Sun Jul 15 19:25:43 CDT 2007

Santos,

We at Lockheed Martin do not provide support for CIAO. Please forward
all your questions regarding CIAO to the CIAO user's list. Quite
frankly, you might even get a better response by someone who knows CIAO
and Light Weight CCM more than us (for instance, the CIAO developers at
Vanderbilt or RemedyIT).

>Sorry if you receive this message more than once but I'm having
>problems with my e-mail.
>
>The component definition in the Receiver.idl is
>
>component Receiver
>{
>uses ReadMessage read_message;
>consumes TimeOut click_in;
>};
>
>home ReceiverHome manages Receiver
>{
>};
>
>If the component is declared as a consumer shouldn't it inherit from
>EventConsumerBase?

You're referring to the Hello example in $CIAO_ROOT/examples/Hello. When
you run the idl file through the CIDL compiler, it will generate an
executor IDL (RecieverE.idl). That IDL will show you the inheritance
hierarchy. Also Doug's presentation on Light Weight CCM talks about the
rules of such mapping in detail, I highly recommend you look at that
presentation.

>There's also an Events interface in the CCM specification that has a
>"EventConsumerBase get_consumer (in FeatureName sink_name)
>raises (InvalidName)" method. Should I be using that instead?

Hmmm, it really depends on what you're trying to do. If you knew
everything about your components and their deployment statically, then
I'd recommend you use the Deployment and Configuration Engine of CIAO
(called DAnCE) to do all the connections between Facets and Receptacles,
Event Sources and Event Sinks for you. If that's not the case, then if
you have an object reference to the component you can query it for such
things (Facet, Receptacle, etc) and manage establishing the connections
yourself.

Thanks,
Abdul