[ace-users] Help needed with CORBA wide strings in ACE/TAO and Borland C++

Martin Corino mcorino at remedy.nl
Sat Jun 9 08:36:26 CDT 2007

Hi,

On Saturday 09 June 2007 14:52, Douglas C. Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,

[snip]

> >I"ve just assumed support of legacy applications written in Borland C++ v6
> >which use ACE/TAO orb for a corba interface to external systems.  The
> >external vendor recently changed their IDL to support corba wide strings.
> >Apparently this requires building ACE for both Unicode (for the IDL) and
> >non-Unicode (for TAO), then linking our app with tao_b.lib but ace_bu.lib.
> >
> >-  Neither the latest release or beta builds of ACE/TAO build and install
> >correctly for Borland.  Does anyone have usable ACE/TAO libs and headers
> > for BCB6 that work with wide strings?
>
> I doubt it - that's not a widely used platform configuration.

Remedy IT is currently the sole active supporter of Borland C++ builds for
ACE+TAO.
We have (among others) a daily BCB6 build for ACE+Unicode on the scoreboard
which builds and runs tests without noticable problems.
We also have ACE+TAO(+CIAO) builds with BCB6 and BCB2006 on the scoreboard but
these do not include Unicode. I'm not sure when this configuration has been
tested last.

Unfortunately because of lack of sponsorship the Borland builds are threatened
with 'extinction';-)
We will be happy to discuss our support options with you in order to help you
solve your current problems and keep Borland C++ supported for ACE+TAO.

> >- What other orbs are there for easy integration with Borland and wide
> >string support? I tried Orbacus today but its readme refers to
> > non-existent Borland make files and its Microsoft makefile fails in MSC++
> > v6 (which it claims to support).  Is there ANY C++ orb I can plug into
> > Borland within one day and get wide string support that works?

I do not think there are any left except for the commercial Borland
Visibroker.
In the last couple of years we have assisted a number of clients moving from
Visibroker/Borland C++ to TAO/Borland C++.

regards,
Martin.

                           Martin J.N. Corino | Remedy IT Expertise BV
          Postbus 101 |  2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs | The Netherlands
                       tel: +31 (10) 522 0139 | fax: +31 (33) 246 6511
                                  World Wide Web: http://www.remedy.nl